Dr. Kongsiri’s helpful tips for dry skin treatment and prevention
Whether traveling to a northern state or staying home in Sunny Florida, dry skin is very common and can be uncomfortable. Dry skin can flake, itch, crack and even bleed. The key to rejuvenate your skin is to use the right products. Using the right products for dry skin is what will really make the difference. Extra dry skin is a wake-up call, if you pay attention, you can turn it around very quickly. But if you do not take care of it, extra dry skin can age more quickly, resulting in premature lines and wrinkles.
Luckily, Dr. Kongsiri has a few ;
- Keep baths and showers short. Use warm, not hot water, and a mild cleanser. When drying off always gently pat your skin dry.
- Apply moisturizer after getting out of the bath or shower. Ointments and creams tend to be more effective than lotions. Dr. Kongsiri recommends applying Cetaphil or CeraVe cream. Also avoid scented lotions and creams if you suffer from really dry skin. The right moisturizer will…
- plump up your skin and make fine lines disappear
- soften and smooth your skin to give you a luminous, dewy complexion
- protect you from free radical and sun damage and slow the aging of your skin
- improve the elasticity of your skin and delay the formation of wrinkles
- provide healing factors that reduce breakouts and relieve irritation
- Read ingredients on skin care products. Deodorant soaps, alcohol-based toners, and products that contain fragrance can irritate dry, sensitive skin.
- Use a humidifier to add much-needed moisture to the air.
- Wear soft fabrics that breathe, such as 100 percent cotton. If you want to wear wool and other rough fabrics, wear a soft fabric underneath.
- Don’t skimp on hand washing, which can remove harmful bacteria and viruses. If you need to wash your hands frequently, hand sanitizers are a good alternative.
- Apply hand cream after each hand washing. If more relief is needed, dab petroleum jelly on your hands before bed. If your hands are frequently immersed in water, wear waterproof gloves to help protect them.
Dry skin also can be a sign of an underlying medical condition, such as eczema. If you suffer from very dry skin, you may require a prescription ointment or cream to provide you some relief.
The good news is that you can turn it around very quickly with the right products. You can quickly restore your skin’s natural radiance and should see results within hours – and it should only take 2 minutes a day to have beautiful, luminous skin, no matter how dry your skin might be today.
Why let extra dry skin to show your age, especially on your face, neck and hands. If these tips do not bring relief, you can make an appointment to have a complimentary skin care consult or call to schedule an appointment to see one of our highly-skilled providers at Visage Dermatology.